I don't know who you're referring to when you write "now you tell me..."

The path and file name is stored in the Family File. If you change the
file name in Windows Explorer, Legacy doesn't know that and will
continue to look for the file as it was originally linked,

In Picture Center, you can rename the Family File and it will be
changed in the database.

There are certain punctuation marks which cannot be used in file names
and file and folder names are best written without spaces - use an
underscore or hypen if you need to break up words in a file name.  T

The reserved characters are \ / : * ? " < > |

On the Legacy website at www.LegacyFamilyTree.com > Help Center > Tips
you'll find an article under "Pictures, Sounds and Videos: Multimedia
Files which explains about working with pictures in Legacy in detail,
including managing locations for multimedia files,  I believe there's
something there on file names also.

There's also a lot of information on working with pictures in the Help
file in Legacy.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support