I use the AKA field to record every variation of a name I find in the
records.  I use the name field to record the name that I believe to be their
given name.   When I run a report in Legacy, I always edit it so that it
doesn't come out too "stiff" if that makes sense.   When I am editing, I
would probably put some explanation in there.  For example, the Robert
Eugene that you used...  I would probably put something like this.....

Robert Eugene Smith, known as Bob to most of his friends and family but in
his later years he seemed to prefer Gene.   Or, Robert Eugene Smith, known
as Bobby during his childhood but as he got older more people started
calling him Gene.  Then I would pick which name I wanted to continue with.

michele