Hey, Rose, I've just been working on renaming my picture files to remove spaces,
and I may have stumbled upon something that would work for you... since you
don't really want to change anything about your citations... just the file names
of the images.  Right?

I've just tested it with a picture that is attached to a master source:

I renamed the picture file in my Pictures folder under Legacy.
            (You would deleted the PDF and copy the JPG into the folder.)
Under Options > Customize > Locations tab, I clicked on "Test All Media Paths".
UNCHECK the "make a list" bit and then "Proceed"
            (so it prompts you when something is missing rather than writing it
to a file)
Sure enough, my renamed file showed up as missing.
For the missing file, there are 4 buttons... click on the "browse for file
yourself" button.
Find the newly named file (JPG in your case) and click on it.
Legacy asks if you really want to use this one with a different name?  Yes.
VOILA!

THEN I tested it with two pictures attached to detail citations.

You do the process for EVERY citation (not just for two pictures), so it does
become tedious.
However, you do not have to open the citations or individuals at all, so that
saves some clicks.

Hope this helps! --Paula in Texas
Researching: Adair Baker Beasley Benson Betz Bigley Blagrave Burton Chapman
Clement Clough Coppernoll Costine Daulton Dinwiddie Doody Ellis Exline Field
Floran Floyd Gates Goodale Gordon Gump Hale Harbaugh Hind Hopkins Hughes Hurdle
Jones Klein Koyle Laswell McDonald Misner Passwaters Pelton Roberts Roche Ryburn
Short Singer Sullivan Weller Williams