In case there is still some confusion:
(1) If your ISP does not support web-based access to your e-mail or you
choose not to use it, and thus all your incoming messages come to your PC,
then you can set up a filter on your PC's e-mail client. This filter would,
for example, automatically move all new [LegacyUG] e-mails to a folder named
something like 'Inbox for Legacy'. Furthermore, if you want to peruse that
folder only after quite a few messages have accumulated, you should be able
to tell your e-mail client to display messages in a threaded view. (In
Windows Mail, it is called 'group messages by conversation'.) That makes it
easier to find or ignore topics (if people follow the guidelines).
(2) If you do sometimes or always access your e-mail on the web server,
using your web browser, then you can choose to set up a similar filter
there, saving the LegacyUG e-mails in a folder on the server. Then if you do
download messages to your PC' e-mail client, only those still in your Inbox
on the server will be downloaded, not those that are in other folders on the
server. If you access your mail from an iPhone, or similar device, then you
are interacting with your mail account on a web server. Filtering mail lists
off to folders is especially handy when traveling away from home without
your PC. You can quickly check for 'important' e-mails in your Inbox, for
example from your iPhone or from the hotel's computer. When you have time
and/or free wi-fi, browse the messages in your mail list folder(s).

As an aside, I think that a busy mail list would be slightly less
overwhelming if we resisted the temptation to fire off short conversational
messages that just say 'thank you', or 'I agree', or 'I don't know the
answer', etc.

   Ward