Hi Julia:

Paul is correct when he said, "Unless you want to sell your book through a
bookstore or other commercial outlet or get into libraries you dont need an
ISBN".  The key word here is "sell".

For example: If you form your own publishing company (in order to
self-publish your book or to publish the work of other authors), and
you have the intention of selling those books commercially, you will need
to purchase ISBN numbers. Those books will carry a copyright notices and be
registered with the Library of Congress. (see Bowker.com for additional
information on purchasing ISBNs, costs, etc. There is also a great fact
sheet for self-publishers.)

On the other hand, if you are self-publishing only with the intent of using
the book for your own purposes (e.g. gifts to family members, friends,
church, etc.), you do not need an ISBN number. I highly recommend that you
register your work with the Library of Congress for added protection. It's
as easy as 1,2,3: completing a form (for copyrighting poetry), enclosing a
copy of your book, and a small filing fee.

I hope you will find this a fun and rewarding project.

Good luck!
Lavern Hall