On 2012/01/22 04:07, Jerry wrote:

> Thanks, I'll try working with it some more.  But I can remember when the
> Windows help files were first developed - you could literally search for
> every instance in which a word of phrase was used.  For example, if
> searching for "error 3260," why would you not be able to bring that up
> similar to a Google search?   It just does not work that way with the
> help files apparently, so the result is you have to read through lots of
> stuff to find what you are looking for and then sometimes you don't find it.

Being a Help File author myself, albeit on a much smaller scale, I think I can
partly answer that. When the Legacy7.chm file is created, the author gets the
option to create various Panel within the view panel: Contents, Index, Search
and Favourites.

The Contents panel is, for some reason that escapes me, not used in Legacy. This
should present a list of the topics in the file, in the form of a Table of
Contents found in a book. This should definitely be introduced and replace the
pitiful Legacy Help Contents topic that comes up as default topic when the file
is first opened.

The Index Panel is derived from those words in the file that the author thinks
merit the ability to be found. Not all words get into the index. The author has
some control over what goes into the index. continuing the analogy, this is to
be thought of like the index normally found at the back of a book.

The content of the Favourites panel is derived from you own input. Here you can
create a list of those topics that you use most often.

And then there's the Search panel, which has been discussed fairly recently. I
have available, a small Help file from Microsoft that is concerned only with how
to use the Search facility. I think I'll put the file onto my website and post
the url here if that's all right with people. If not, a private message to me
might result in a direct mailing of the file. Don't expect an immediate
response, I'd like to send the file to multiple people once or twice, rather
than multiple times to individuals.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry