From: Tony Rolfe
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2012 5:41 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Event Locations

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 18:32:15 -0800 Bjørn K Nilssen

> I prefer that second school too. What I'm interested in is where that
> location is, and who shared it. Adding 10 or more differently spelled
> versions isn't really that useful IMO. It would be nice to have an
> AKA for locations too though, with date and text fields.

What would be really nice would be to have date-linked short names for a
given location.  Something like

Long Name:  Sometown, someplace, Somecountry
Short name: to 31 mar 1837: An original short name
Short Name: to 1 Jan 1951: a different short name here
Short Name: to: current short name for the place

One problem I have is that Census enumerators described the same
location differently on different censuses.  It would be nice to record
what they actually wrote, without having to make a different location
entry for each census.  Now the program would pick the short name
according to the date for the display.

Actually, it might be useful to have both short and long names varying
by date with a "Location name" to identify it, but which isn't used in
reports.