From: Jean Suplick
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:25 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How to add illegitimate child

A child always has a mother and a father. That's the way the world works. Full
stop, as they say.

The father may not be a husband of the mother, lawfully wed and all. Would you
agree?

In the Legacy database, every child is entitled to two parents, which reflects
nature. So far so good. What then, does the Legacy database do to handle
children with two parents that are *not married*? That's the question, right?

Here's what I do.

The  mother (aka "wife" in Legacy terms) and a father (aka "husband" in Legacy
terms) can have a child. If they are not married, the in the "marriage" screen,
open the Status dropdown list and select "unmarried".

That's what I do. Set the status to unmarried.

To your implied question, give the child the surname that he/she was known by.

In my case, my grandmother gave her 7  illegitimage children the surname of her
first husband who abandonded her before any of them were born. (She had 2
legitimate children by him before the abandonment.) These are my aunts and
uncles, and I knew most of them. In the 1930's and 1940's they were given
Grandma's surname, i.e. her husband's name, even though he was provably not
their father. It does't matter.That was their name, so that's the name I put in
Legacy. And in Legacy, their father is Grandma's "husband", but with an
unmarried status.

Hope this helps,
Jean Suplick
Plano, Texas