I'm just trying to learn the software and have looked under the help file, but
probably not in the right place.

There is a record of a birth and the child is registered under the father's
surname. In all other records she is listed under the surname of the man my
ancestor married. There were two other children in the same situation, but
without birth records that I have found, just the names, each with different
last names. Another researcher who has done a lot of work as this is her direct
ancestor, has noted that there were no marriages for these childdren.

I entered this first child under the "spouse" and noted "unmarried." but the
father still shows up under the spouse button. Is that how I should do it?

And when there is no birth record, but a last name different than the mother's,
do I enter those two children under the marriage "button" with no name in the
father's blank?

Later when all the children are listed in census and other records by the last
name of the man my ancestor finally married, is it likely or unlikely there was
a formal adoption (this is in the late 1800s) or they just informally took that
name? Should that be noted under notes or in the notes in the census record?

I hope this is clear. I have another question, but should put it into a
separate email to follow.

Thanks for any help!
Peggy