Why can’t you just add notes to the event itself?  If you want to add something
that you think will make the information clearer you can always put it in
brackets [  ] to show that what is in the brackets is information that you have
added and not part of the event itself.

Here are a couple of simple examples,

This is an entry I have for the 1820 census in Perry Co, MS for Silas Simmons

Silas Simmons
1 free white male under age 10 [William]
1 free white male age 16 to under 26 [Silas]
1 free white female under age 10 [Elizabeth]
1 free age 16 to under 26 [Janet]

I added WHO each person was because I knew but it wasn't on the census record
itself.

Here is one for a Cemetery entry

Marker reads:
Simmons
[2 infant slabs, no other information, buried in same plot as Arthur A. Simmons
and Mattie S. Dickson]

I am implying that the two infants belong to Arthur and Mattie and it explains
why I think that even  though there is nothing on the marker to say so.

Michele Simmons Lewis