<<What is different about the 'new' site? I have used the site at
<http://familysearch.org/> familysearch.org for a while now and never
registered or signed in. What would I get access to by registering that
I don't get by not registering?>>

The site you are looking at is raw data, a place for research. The other
site, new.familysearch.org, has massive linked pedigrees, the result of
millions of names being researched and linked. Much of the research is
excellent, much from personal knowledge of the individuals, and some put
in by inexperienced research or by copying FGS complete with good
research or errors. Try signing in, and decide for yourself if it is
worth while.

Carl