Thanks, Michele, Bob and Jan for thinking about this.  My main concern is
unanticipated side effects. Placeholders like Mr. or Firstwife work well for
the original compiler, who has Legacy and external files, but wider
distribution and less capable software must be anticipated.  Legacy too might
hiccup on empty fields or "name" duplication - or perhaps work better...

"Mr." is a good example.  In principle it's a quick search key for
placeholders.  In practice, it's often important in genealogical analysis to
identify yeoman or gentleman social status, and is particularly useful in
distinguishing a socially prominent line amongst similar entries in parish
registers. For that purpose, the prefix field is ideal and alternate use of the
given name field implies a placeholder.  But does that work for other programs
and propagate quietly via gedcoms?  Is the trailing period a possible problem,
or later parsing where all name fields are empty?  I need to send a PAF Gedcom
from Legacy to my cousin, who may further enter the branch to LDS and Ancestry
trees...

Also on side effects, I use Mr where it's not known which brother was the
father, as elsewhere in this Pratt line. One side effect is to add a phantom
brother to the older generation.  No problem with Legacy, which has ample
opportunity for notes and simple procedures for correction, but I don't want to
seed a phantom into some future database.

AKAs do seem the best path for the Richord/Richard mess, though Richord is only
a search key for defectively entered records.  But again, with both name fields
empty, will AKAs propagate and behave quietly?  Pratt-wife has definite appeal.
 Similarly, Pratt-child or Pratt-dau seems less likely to cause trouble than
Unknown for the daughters.  It's all ugly expedients...

Thanks again

kb