From: Scott Hall
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 9:09 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Do you limit your # of sources for one fact?

I'm similar to Michele in that I keep all "official" sources, but I track my
sources in a different way -- via the Research Notes page.  I do this
because at the moment I am not intending on publishing such that I need
official sources as end notes right now.  At some point, I will have to
consider how to move my source information.

I *do* keep all sources in the master list, I just don't link to the data
fields (some exceptions, such as events, apply).

Instead I have a code system for all of my data within the Research Notes,
such that I can see everywhere the data came from and what it said.  For
example, here are the research notes for my grandfather:

*******
Name
CEM-MoCC: Donald H. HALL
CEN-US1920: Donald H. HALL
CEN-US1930: Donald H. HALL
OBIT-RDC: Donald H. HALL
OBIT-RDC: Donald H. HALL (1)
OBIT-RDC: Donald HALL (2) (3)
PK-EGH: Donald Higgins HALL
RCA-HMR: Donald HALL
SSDI-RW: Donald HALL

Birth
CEM-MoCC: 1913
CEN-US1920: 6y [bet 2 Jan 1913 - 1 Jan 1914]; New York
CEN-US1930: 17y [bet 2 Apr 1912 - 1 Apr 1913]; New York
SSDI-RW: 6 Mar 1913
PK-EGH: White City, NY

Death
CEM-MoCC: 1976
OBIT-RDC: 15 Jun 1976
PK-EGH: Rochester, NY
SSDI-RW: Jun 1976

Burial
CEM-MoCC: West Webster Cem., Webster, NY
OBIT-RDC: cal 18 Jun 1976; West Webster Cem., Webster, NY

SSN
SSDI-RW: 715-01-9675

Notes
(1) Per father Fred's obituary [RIN 7].
(2) Per mother Nina's obituary [RIN 8].
(3) Per brother Gerald's obituary [RIN 38].

*******
You can see, for example, that his name is sourced from various places --
Cemetery records (CEM-MoCC), Census records (CEN-USxxxx), Obituaries
(OBIT-xxx), Marriage records (RCA-HMR), the SSDI (SSDI-xx), and the personal
knowledge of my father (PK-EGH).

Scott