Robert,
In addition to importing your GEDCOM into a new file and clean it up first.  You
can add one or more sources to indicate where you got the GEDCOM from etc.  When
it is time to merge it with your main data base:

Maintain the new file as a Legacy file, DO NOT export it as a GEDCOM to be
merged with your main database.
BACKUP....BACKUP, maybe rename.

When you import the newfile.fdb, tell Legacy to renumber the individual [RIN]
and marriage [MRIN] numbers to a number exceeding the highest numbers in your
main database.  Say if you had 10,000 individuals in your main database and your
highest RIN was 11, 381 (you will likely have some skipped numbers and this is
OK, don't worry about it) , you might renumber the import starting with 11,382
or a little higher.  To find the highest RIN in your main database select the
index tab and click the RIN button at the top left of window.  Then scroll to
the bottom of the list and note the highest RIN used.

Same story with the MRINs.  To find the highest MRIN go to View>Marriage List,
click MRIN in the top left of window and scroll to the bottom of the list and
note the highest number used.

Next you will go to:   File > Import From > Legacy File>   and find your
newfile.fdb and click open.  You will select   Add the Legacy information to the
EXISTING Family File.   Click Proceed, Continue with import and a new window
named   Legacy Import   will open .  This is where you renumber the RINs, in the
upper right of the window, select    Renumber RINs from:   put a number higher
than your highest RIN as noted above.  Also do   MRINs from:   with the higher
MRIN as noted above.

When you are ready click the    Start the Import   button.  When you do the
merge/check for duplicates you will know all the new import numbers are higher
than your main database.  After the merge the duplicates will become unused
RIN/MRINs.  Again don't worry about it.
Laird