From: "Mike Fry" <mike...@iafrica.com>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 2:20 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] MRIN Numbers

On 2012/05/25 10:47, RHS Consulting wrote:
> Where can I find info on the MRIN numbering system? Under Show Help Index
> MRIN > Number > Renumbering does not open. Also there is nothing listed
> under >
> Options > Customize. I am trying to clean up recommended File Maintenance
>  >
> Check/Repair discrepancies.

It opens on my system, thus:-

Renumbering RINs and MRINs

The Renumber RINs screen is reached by choosing Renumber RINs from the Tools
menu.

Background

Each individual and marriage record in a family file is assigned a unique
record
number when it is added.  If all you did was add new records, these numbers
would always be sequential with no holes.  But, in reality, numbers are
abandoned when you delete people or merge duplicate records together.  In
theory
this does not cause any problems.  Many people, however, would like to keep
the
numbers as small as possible and so Legacy provides a way to manage this.

The first way that Legacy manages the reuse of abandoned record numbers is
with
an option in the Customize area that tells Legacy to fill in the unused
numbers
whenever new records are added.  This option is set by choosing Options >
Customize and then going to the Data Defaults tab and selecting the Reuse
Abandoned RINs at the center-left.  This takes care of most of the
situation.
But sometimes you might want to take a more proactive measure to fill in a
lot
of "holes" created by a large merge.  Here is where the Renumber RINs option
comes into effect and gives you many choices.

Both Individual and Marriage record numbers can be changed.

Individuals

Renumber Current RIN # to:  ______  - Use to change the RIN of the current
individual to a different number.  When the change is made the person that
was
using the new number gets the old number.  For example, if you take a person
with a RIN of 16 and renumber that person to #1, the person that had #1 will
now
be #16.  They just swap numbers.  If no one had #1 then #16 is just changed
#1 leaving #16 as unused.  This option is usually used to renumber a few
people
at the beginning of a file.  For example, if your mother gave you a copy of
her
file you might load it in, find your name and renumber yourself to #1.  You
might then renumber your spouse to #2, your parents to #3 and #4, and so on.
After a couple generations it just doesn't matter any more so you stop.

Fill Missing RINs from RINs greater than or equal to: ______ - Takes records
from the end of the file that are numbered greater than or equal to the
cutoff
point you specified and renumbers them to fill in holes below your cutoff
point.
  This fills in the holes without changing any of the RINs below your cutoff
number.  (This might not fill all the holes below your cutoff point if there
are
not enough numbers above it.  You also might end up with holes above your
cutoff
point.)

Fill all Missing RINs from highest RINs - Takes records from the end of the
file
and renumbers them to fill in all the holes.  The end result is that there
are
no more holes left in the family file.  They are all filled in.

Marriages

Renumber Current MRIN # to:  ______  - Use to change the MRIN of the current
marriage to a different number.  When the change is made the marriage that
was
using the new number gets the old number.  For example, if you take a
marriage
with a MRIN of 50 and renumber that marriage to #1, the marriage that had #1
will now be #50.  They just swap numbers.  If no marriage had #1 then #50 is
just changed to #1 leaving #50 as unused.  This option is usually used to
renumber a few marriages at the beginning of a file.  For example, if your
mother gave you a copy of her file you might load it in, find your marriage
and
renumber it to #1.  You might then renumber your parents to #2, your
grandparents to #3 and #4, and so on.  After a couple generations it just
doesn't matter any more so you stop.

Fill Missing MRINs from MRINs greater than or equal to: ______ - Takes
records
from the end of the file that are numbered greater than or equal to the
cutoff
point you specified and renumbers them to fill in holes below your cutoff
point.
  This fills in the holes without changing any of the MRINs below your
cutoff
number.  (This might not fill all the holes below your cutoff point if there
are
not enough numbers above it.  You also might end up with holes above your
cutoff
point.)

Fill all Missing MRINs from highest MRINs - Takes records from the end of
the
file and renumbers them to fill in all the holes.  The end result is that
there
are no more holes left in the family file marriages.  They are all filled
in.

To apply the renumbering option you have selected, click Apply in the
upper-right corner.  After confirmation, the renumbering is done.

You can also create a log file of all the changes made by checking the Log
all
changes to a text file option.  Each renumbering is recorded in a file
called
RINLog.txt in the Legacy program folder.  The file is not erased by Legacy.
Each renumbering is appended to the end with the current date.  (If you keep
printed copies of records containing RINs and MRINs, and especially if you
share
them with others, this RINLog.txt file will be helpful in avoiding
confusion.)

5-106

--
Regards,