Thanks for the advice.  For the record, I did the following, which seems
to work.

1.  Add the wife to the husband (since I already had the husband).
2.  Add the son as an unlinked individual.
3.  Add a mother to this child, linked to the existing "wife".  This
produces a second "marriage" for the wife with an "unknown" "husband".
4.  Focus on the husband and wife and add a child, linking to the
adopted son.  This gives an "He already has parents" which I ignored.
5.  Still focussed on the husband and wife, change the "relationship to
father" to adopted and "to mother" to biological.
6.  Add notes to say this is speculation and needs more research.

It is possible that the adopted son was the legitimate child of the
wife's brother (who has died, moved abroad etc.) so I really need to
work in this later.  Once more unto the to-do list I go.

Thanks again

Tony