I do similarly except using the MRIN at the beginning of the name, then
a date, then a number.

eg. 0037-1890-01

and then _e for edits, or _s for resized, or both _es, es2, etc.

So, a file-name might look like 0037-1890-01_e.tif

I don't put any names or other identifying information in the file-names
because it's all in the IPTC, some of which can be seen in Windows
'Detail View' under various columns or at the bottom of the screen in
Windows 7. Other than that, it's pretty obvious looking at the
thumbnails what the content is. For instance, a census record, marriage
certificate, whatever.

----
JL | http://www.jgen.ws/jlog/