On 19/06/2012 22:16, Lavern Hall wrote:
> I'd like to know how others would handle this type of AKA entering.
> My cousin has been known by the name of Clara all of her life and
> this is the name that appears on all documents (marriage, school,
> SS index, will, etc.) except her birth record. Her birth record gives
> her name as Concettina. There is no formal change of name recorded
> in the court system. I know this information to be factual as I knew
> this individual myself and we discussed this issue as it relates to
> the genealogy file in our family tree.
> I have kept to the practice of entering the name that appears
> on the person's birth record in their individual record. All other
> names have been entered in the AKA file. In this case, I am
> wondering if I should make an exception for the sake of clarity
> when printing out the family tree, or if some sort of note should
> be make  (what/where?)
> Any thoughts on this?

I would use a "Quoted Given Name" - ie, enter her forename as Concettina
"Clara" on her Individual's Information page.  When printing Reports
select the Format tab on Report Options and tick the boxes for "Use
quoted names for narratives" and "Remove quoted given names."

By making those selections you will make Clara's entry in Reports read
something like "Concettina Doe, daughter of X and Y ....  She was
usually known as Clara.... Clara married ..." and so on.

No need for any Notes!

--
Jenny M Benson