Alan,

I also just document reasoning in research notes. Legacy is excellent for
organising classical genealogy material, but it's limited or poor as a research
tool or record. It has little support for anything less than fact, and that
bites not only subsequent descendants, but also the present genealogy
researcher. I've sympathy for Ron's position regarding "negative proof", but
some term is needed. On balance, I see the trade off, between violating prior
use in information theory versus important advantage to clarity in your usage,
as decidedly on your side.

I'm leaving history and genealogy of my line(s) to the future, but also
everything I can find which may be useful to subsequent or collateral
researchers. Necessarily, that includes not just my logic behind judgements
made, but also conjecture, unconnected fact, and rejected "fact" with
reasoning. Generally, I support the position taken in the genealogy with
detailed reasoning, followed by "Alternative possibilities" with discussion on
pros and cons in less detail. Implicit in that is acceptance and warning that
my adopted position may be wrong, but a "Negative Proof" textual label is a
much stronger message that the adopted position is not only provisional but
recognised by the author as in significant doubt. (Thanks Alan)

If we confine ourselves to "classical fact", we don't just constrain ourselves
to documents; we risk crippling our reasoning. Scientific research proceeds
from hypothesis to proof, yea or nay. Hypothesis is, by definition, provisional
and uncertain. If we don't keep clear awareness of "nay", we too easily seek
only evidence to justify assumptions. Legacy seems to have few formal places
for "provisional fact", and genealogies contributed to the web are typically
stripped of research and other cautionary notes.

I much recommend looking up "Bayesian" in Wikipedia. Crudely estimating
probabilities and using them as in Bayesian Inference can be a help and a
powerful discipline in research guidance. A quick check shows an average of 8
Dave XXXs alive in a parish at any time over 200 years. Not good odds that any
record is of the one you want. It's a caution and focuses work on factors which
improve probability. Unlike other logical systems, Bayesian can be reversible
without circular reasoning. In retrospect, the odds on truth for an initial
premise may be drastically higher when calculated in reverse from findings, and
a traditional "fact" may turn up, permitting the discovery process to be
discarded. How, in Legacy, do we keep track and record?

Recently, I was contacted about a post I made in 2004, on a line I later
dropped. My Legacy file had a few names and notes of interest to my contact,
but resort to paper files and old disks from long dead computers produced a
gold mine of lines of attack and disparate data for him, including emails from
folks now dead. When I'm dead too, my Legacy file will still be on several
computers, but my other records will be gone. Legacy needs a "research
companion" with cross referencing from the standard program, but is it
impossible to somehow formalise "negative proof" discussion within Legacy
fields and facilities?

kb