On 05/09/2012 06:39, Tony Rolfe wrote:
> The 1911 Census of England and Wales includes information regarding the
> number of children born to the current marriage, how many are still
> alive and how many have died.  One of my ancestors appears having had 6
> children, 3 living and 3 having died.
>
> They have an unusual surname and a search of the FreeBMD indices shows
> only 3 children with that surname being born and died in the right time
> frame in the right area of the country.  So, I will tentatively assume
> that these three were "my" three.
>
> I can add the children with FreeBMD sources for names, birth and death
> dates, but I also want to use the census image as a source, because that
> is how I knew of their existence in the first place.
>
> Is this what the "Unspecified" is used for?  Should I use the census
> source for their death information?
>
> I'm not sure of the best way to tackle this.  Advice would be appreciated.

I use the 1911 Census as a Source for the births and deaths of children
for which there is little or no other information, just as I use all the
Censuses as a Source for the names/births of children and their
relationships to their parent(s).

I had a case only last night where I found a cousin who had had 4
children but only 1 survived.  The surname is relatively common in the
area so I cannot immediately determine which of 8 possibles are my 3
deceased children.  For now, I shall enter them each as Unknown Molyneux
with death dates of "before 02 April 1911."  (Yes, I know Legacy doesn't
like me using Unknown as a name, but I don't mind!)

Invidentally, I pondered over how to include this information in my
Census Event Description, which for other Censuses says something like
"Mary Ann Molyneux; wife; married; aged 30; born in Liverpool,
Lancashire."  I decided on writing "...currently married for 20 years
with 3 living children & 1 deceased..."

Unspecified is used for a Source which applies generally to the whole
record, rather than to any particular field.  For example, if you import
your cousin's database and merge it into yours you might use the
Unspecified field to cite your cousin's database as the Source for each
of the records you imported.

--
Jenny M Benson