It may not be right but it depends on the time frame you are discussing.
Early on, D.C. had two counties - Washington and Alexandria - and
encompassed a portion of Virginia.  In that case you probably would have
treated it like any city and state with reference to the county.  Later
- about 1846 -  it became one county and one district after Alexandria
was given back to Virginia. Until 1890, the census bureau counted the
area as the City of Washing, City of Georgetown and anything
unincorporated as Washington county.  Washington county technically
ceased to exist in the early 1870s when it was pulled into the city of
Washington. I believe what you see now has been developed to use the
four place holders - but technically isn't correct.

Jackie