I pretty much use "British America" for anything pre-1776.  So, for someone
living in Plymouth in, say 1750, I'd put:

Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, British America

While technically anything prior to the formation of the United States is
properly called "Province of Massachusetts Bay", my rationale is that I've
shortened the formal to just "Massachusetts" in the same way that if I
record something that happened today, I don't put "Commonwealth of
Massachusetts".

However, prior to 1692, Massachusetts could only refer to Massachusetts Bay
Colony -- not Plymouth.  In this case, I'd likely put:

Plymouth Colony, British America

FWIW