When you close the Marriage Information window by clicking on the "x"
or on the Save button, you have effectively created a marriage for a
couple (even if one of them is an "unknown")

The only way to close the Marriage Information window without adding a
marriage is to click on "Cancel".

You will need to go to the individual's Spouse List and unlink the
"marriage" to remove the "Unknown".

Roland correctly indicated to enter anything about the non-marriage in
the individual's notes.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support