I am unclear as to what they are called. Let me give an example:

In the screen for adding a US Census source detail, before I fill in the text
box with my own information, there are prompts as to what to put in these
fields, in gray text. In the "Page" text box, the text reads "Type the page
number and page number type. Ex: 273..." My problem is that, no matter how
large I make my box (either through maximizing the entire box, or by
stretching) I cannot read the entirety of the prompt. I have also tried
adjusting font size. Any ideas would be appreciated.

For the record, I have been typing the page number, then defining in
parentheses whether they are stamped numbers, handwritten numbers, or both.

Roxanne Wolfe