CG,  Certified Genealogist and CGL, Certified Genealogical Lecturer are
service marks  of the Board for Certification of Genealogists ® , used under
license by Board-certified associates after periodic competency evaluations.

In a message dated 3/4/2013 8:04:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ancestor...@gmail.com writes:

I have a  few citations for asylums and I always put the name of the
hospital as the  "head of household"  in the  citation.

Michele

-----Original Message-----
From: Jenny  M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 7:56  AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census  Head Of Household Question

On 03/03/2013 21:09, Howlanddavisii  wrote:

> Luggers:
>
>      I have an  ancestor who was a supervisor in an asylum for the insane
per the 1880  census.  The first person listed for the dwelling is the
superintendent  of the facility.  When I write a citation for the census, is he
the head  of the household or would I show the name of the facility as the
household  name (i.e., McLean Asylum for the Insane Household, 1880 U.S.
Census,  etc.)?
>      Thank you in advance for your  thoughts.

I have someone in a similar position in my family.   In the Event
Description I copied the information from the census, including  the fact that
he was
stated to be Head of the household and that his  occupation was
Superintendent of Cottage Homes.(1)  In the Event Notes I  entered the members
of the
household, which included "... Officers, Servants  and Inmate Children.  In
the "Id of Person" field in the Citation Details  I put "household of Alfred
Ernest Nosworthy" because I use the same Citation  for all members of the
household.

Of course, this was for an England  Census so might be slightly different
for you with a US one.

(1)  Cottage Homes were a type of orphanage.

--
Jenny M  Benson

Legacy User Group  guidelines:
Archived  messages after Nov. 21  2009:
Archived  messages from old mail server - before Nov. 21  2009:
Online  technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
Follow Legacy  on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and
on our blog  (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).