I am not sure if this is totally relevant to the discussion, but I have
found that in some instances it is important to know the occupation of
an individual (usually the father) in order to make a clearer
identification.  I am using very old church records and they quite often
list the father's occupation with his surname and not his given name.
Therefore you have to know whether it is Shoemaker Smith or Furrier
Smith.  Another odd thing about these records is that the mother's name
is not given but the names of the godparents is.

Bernie H Blog site http://haushornung.weebly.com/ Data site
http://www3.telus.net/hornunghouse/