ItI have been unable to find a standard for handling surnames, and I am
wondering if some have a good solution to this problem:

I have many ancestors, like most of use, back in the 14th century and older.

And I don't know what to do with the pieces of their names that where basically
their "surname" is "from somewhere".

take a simple one…

Anne of Cleves, daughter of John III, Duke of Cleves

Since there is no family surname, i am using "of Cleves" as a surname.

But if there were a known family surname, as sometimes there is, would "of
Cleves" become a suffix?

and for her father, would his surname be "Duke of Cleves"?

With Legacy, since there is a separate prefix, Duke could be a prefix, but then
the order of is changed.

and then there is the nagging "Sir"…...  that could also be the prefix.

or the surname "of Cleves", and the suffix then be "Duke", or some other way.

According to Wikipedia his real name is"
"Herzog Johann III der Freiliche Von Kleve herzog von Juelich und von Berg"
[Herzog is Duke in German]
personally I tend to put all this in AKA

would be interested in any standard or approach that anyone might be interested
in sharing

Lee Zuker
Shelton, WA