I hope "changes to the old ones" includes updating the present DNA material as
well as upgrading to recognise recent advances.

The list of those involved in testing looks tired. Under "Tests Available",
good luck with DNAH and Genetree. The former went belly up in 2011, public
database suppressed by FTDNA, and Ancestry ate the latter 6 months ago. Where
is 23andMe? If the intent was to list origin and data locations for the test
entries, SMGF is notably missing too, as the website and database still
function, though slaved to Ancestry. And in case no one has noticed, the BGA
chips are an obvious game changer...

Entering yDNA data by hand is tedious and liable to error, better a .csv file
for 67 or 111 markers, and there's a case for entry in the native format with
program translation to a standard one, logically FTDNA's order with any
necessary data adjustment.

Haplogroup is more useful than it was, but presently changes so frequently that
it's probably inappropriate for a program designed to produce books. (Mine has
changed about annually for the last 3 or 4 years.) Terminal SNP, as tested or
as implied, is a stable solution, and it's trivial to convert to or from the
latest haplogroup code if the entry instructions reference (currently) the
latest ISOGG tree. "Confirmed" is another can of worms. My Hg shows as
"implied" in all records, but that's because FTDNA has not bothered to update
them after I had my current terminal SNP tested, and that's the general case.

Then there's mtDNA and atDNA. It's probably well beyond the scope of Legacy to
directly address these, but it certainly isn't to provide for entering kit or
other ID number and database where information may be found. Further, for those
who use Legacy as a research tool rather than for just recordation and
presentation, atDNA is being successfully used to find actual or potential
family connections out 5 generations or more. That's a strong argument for
facilities to support concurrent work on unlinked individuals and families. One
possibility might be to permit split screen to be used to display a tagged
group present in the family file but unconnected to the principal tree. Another
might be provisional linking across gaps, lateral or longitudinal. The
confidence which may now be placed on yDNA matches, and the substantial time
spans which may be involved, bring need to deal with cases where several
generations may be missing but connection can be considered proven to at least
comparable standards to those accepted using paper trails. Even mtDNA proved
lineage recently for Plantagenet bones dug up from a parking lot.

Reaching further back, the pure genealogist may have to give up, but the family
historian may have much further to go regarding the questions, "Who, what are
we, and whence came we?" In my case, I'm a Britton, and the origin of our
family name goes back some centuries BC, certainly germane to a family history
if immaterial to a genealogy. Adoption of it as a surname is much later, of
course, but yDNA may reach back to identifiable family living in Norman times -
genealogy as well as history there. Millennia may just punt and simply advise
setting Report output to word processor compatible format, then heading "The
Family History" with material written using that. Kind of a pain though with
pagination, index etc. Is it impracticable to provide a report option which
accepts reserved space blocking and index entries for such? Would it be
impossible to extend timelines with perhaps a log time scaling? Or to link back
across descendancy gaps with "Mr Gap" placeholders?

Back when I was doing a lot of this with Legacy 6, I became an advocate for the
Placeholder family. It's a surname which is easy to find and an unequivocal
disclaimer of actual identity if it leaks into a report or chart. It's not just
useful locally, as to permit linkage of siblings when the parents are unknown
or when descent is known but not from which sibling etc., but it's also a
solution for the longer linkages of the DNA domain. Placeholders can have
remarkably long lives for timeline purposes, or be chained in estimated
generations to facilitate lateral connection matching to other genealogies or
display most probable family structure from STR based MRCA calculations. Given
names beginning DNAxxx are also easy to find and informative. So is Placeholder
as a given name, normally surnamed with the associated family name as in
"Placeholder Pratt" for the case where descent was amply documented from
brothers, but not which one. All of these propagated stably in anything I did
with Legacy 6, needing no modification to the program and providing associated
fields for information.

Millennia may elect to punt in this area, leaving it to be revisited for Legacy
9, shilling for test providers rather than supporting the use of the new tools,
but that may prove short sighted. Stepping in now perhaps offers a chance to
set de facto standards for DNA data in genealogy - and to avoid Legacy 8
becoming rapidly obsolescent.

Not DNA but related, there's also the predictable increase in genealogy
interest, available data and exponential cross connecting of genealogies. Do
we, or will we soon, need blocks, sutures and skeletons? Giant genealogies
become unwieldy and have increasing connections with other work. For the family
historian(s), local interest and media files may be more important than the
"greater vision" when organising a get together. Most of that's clutter to the
big picture, which also may not be helped by numerous small fiefdoms. One
solution might be development of a standard system of segmentation to reduce
things to manageable sub-units. That might be achieved by embedding blocks in
databases to halt machine traversal for inspection, functioning as flexible
boundaries to define content. Matching that, there would be needed standard
sutures to connect elements so defined. The final requirement would be matching
skeleton and "rich" data copies of segments, permitting "big picture"
assemblies reduced to conventional minimal information but co-existence of more
voluminous or private data where desired. In short, facilities for very
flexible mix-and-match.

kb