From: "Jenny M Benson" <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] citing sources

On 21/07/2013 02:31, Barbara wrote:
> I need some of your thoughts on how to cite sources.
> The source is a familysearch.org index for Schifferstadt, Pfalz, Bavaria
> births and baptisms for at least 20 people in the same family.  Each
> name has a different address where the information can be found.  How do
> I cite the source and how do I cite the detail.
> ie. For citing the records where do I put the following addresses:-
> under source or under detail?:
> Source:  "Deutschland, Geburten und Taufen 1558-1898;" index,
> Nicolaus is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NCYT-F4R
> Felicitas Is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NDW3-K63
> How can I record them in the master source list so I know which record
> goes with which family member for citing the records?
> I've listened to the CD training lessons and still can't figure this one
> out.

With a question about Sources it is always helpful if you say whether
you are using SourceWriter or Basic Sourcing.

I use SourceWriter so I can only tell you how I source records from
FamilySearch databases in SW.  For starters, I don't just copy the
Citation which FS suggests and I use a separate Master Source for each
FS database.

For the examples you quote, I would use the generic Online Database
template and put "Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898" in the Master
Source Database Title field.  In the Source Details Item of Interest
field I would enter "Nicolaus Imo's 1817 christening" and in the Credit
field I would enter "citing FHL film # 367456 (title of film here.)"

There are purists who would say I should not include the title of the
film because it is not given on the actual record but has to be looked
up in the FS catalog but I find it helpful to do this.  If there is an
item and/or page number given, I would put this between "citing" and "FHL".

I then copy and paste the text into the Source Details Text field.

For Felicitas' record, the only difference would be in the Item of
Interest and Text fields.

If I were also to put the URL as you have quoted into the Source Detail
Comments field it would give me a direct link to the online record and
is something I will consider doing.

--
Jenny M Benson

Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on