Quick question - what are you looking at? If the crew list is from an
online database, is that a database or an index? If you are looking at
original records, it might be a journal or log. I always take a look
at the description of the document type (easily done at ancestry for
example).  In the instance of Dorset Crew Lists their reference to the
source reads as follows:

Ancestry.com. Dorset, England, Crew Lists, 1863-1914 [database
on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. This
collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project
contributors.
Original data: Dorset Crew Lists. Dorchester, Dorset: Dorset History Centre.

Elizabeth Shown Mills always asks - what are YOU looking at (what are
you holding in your hand)? And then go from there. In the example
above it is an online database. I might be all wrong (and I am sure
someone will tell me) BUT your source is different from the event/fact
- the event/fact would be employment and the source would be the crew
list.

Does that help or does it muddy the waters for you?

Tessa Keough
Guild of One-Name Studies, No. 5089
Legacy Virtual Users' Group
One Place Studies - Plate Cove, Newfoundland