Hi Deanna,

Welcome to the LUG!  :-)

Like Ron said, we all started at the beginning, so don't worry that you
feel like you know nothing at the moment.

And don't worry about any list posts that you don't understand or seem
irrelevant to you - just give it a quick read to check what it's about,
then delete it.

You will find as you continue reading that more posts are meaningful, as
you pick up bits and pieces along the way.  I've learned a lot from
reading other people's querys and the answers posted to them that way.

As for Legacy versus Ancestry, there's no contest in my opinion. You can
only access your tree on Ancestry if you're online and logged in.
Should there be a problem with your ISP preventing you from getting
online, or Ancestry are having problems and you can't get to their site,
you won't be able to access your family tree - for example, there's a
message on Ancestry.com right now saying parts of the site will be down
for maintenance shortly (1am to 3pm Thursday 3 October EDT); that might
not be convenient for you.

With Legacy, your computer doesn't need to be online to use it. You will
also one day find information that didn't come from Ancestry, it is not
the be-all and end-all of genealogy.

With Legacy you have complete control over who can access information in
your database that might be a little sensitive - because it will only go
online when you put it there.  I'm not sure that you have that much
control over your Ancestry tree - other than withholding living people,
I suspect you either make all of your data visible to others, or not at all.

There's no one right answer here, it's a matter of you deciding what is
important to you, what suits you, and what conveniences you can or can't
live with.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy