RINs (Record Identification Number) are assigned by the database
sequentially as you enter individuals in the Family File.  The first
one is #1, the second #2, etc.  MRINs  (Marriage Record Identification
number) are assigned sequentially as you connect people in "marriage"

If you wish to assign specific numbers to individuals so they will
never change, I would strongly recommend that you use the User ID
field on the Individual's Information edit window and for marriages,
use that on the Marriage Information window.  You can then show the
User ID in the Name List, Index view, reports, etc.

To select to show RINs, User ID or other numbers on lists and views,
go to Options > Customize > View.

The option to include those on reports is on the "Include" tab of
Report Options for each report.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support