James,

James, I think your answer is the best.
Except I would be afraid to connect a Windoz
computer to the Internet due to security
issues I've had with Windoz in the past.
But if VNC is reasonably secure, than good.

At the beginning of this year my laptop
died and I investigated replacements
including Chromebooks.   I found there
are several different Chromebooks
They have different processors and bios.
They are all on the slow side
and not very versatile.

But there is a way to get Windoz to run on
certain Chromebooks.  Create a virtual machine
and run Windoz in it.  It will be terribly slow,
even with all unnecessary Windoz services disabled.
It may be necessary to crack open the bottom
panel and add more memory for more speed.
It is an option for those who don't have
a 2nd computer with Windoz to connect to.

I bought an HP2000 with Win8.  That model
has a touch-pad design flaw, so I got it cheap,
just a bit more than the Samsung Chromebook.
The only thing I use Windoz for is Legacy,
otherwise I use Linux.  Linux is better, faster,
and safer for my day-to-day Internet use.
I'm using it now and running Linux.

JimS