Orinda,

When you click backup on that merge screen Legacy makes a backup for its
own use not a regular backup like File > Backup Family file does. That
working backup file is in a temporary folder and will not be deleted
when you shut down Legacy. It will be used however to restore your file
to the pre-merge state if you decide, before shutting down, to undo the
merge.

After you make the merge you will be told that you can undo the merge
using a choice that will be added to the Edit menu. That undo will use
the temporary backup file to restore your file.

Brian
Customer Support
Millennia Corporation
br...@legacyfamilytree.com