  From: hwedhlor
  To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] CORRECTION: Legacy 8 User Manual

  Ron,

  Having worked with computers since 1964 when many still had vacuum tube
amplifiers, and having worked as a programmer, senior technical writer, systems
engineer and database manager, among other duties, as well as acting as a beta
for a wide variety of software manufacturers, I feel that I am very familiar
with the software industry.

  You obviously did not read carefully what I wrote.  I did not advocate, nor
mention, providing program updates to Millennia's software at no cost to the
customer.  I only speculated on alternative means of providing more current
versions of documentation to Millennia's customers who had already paid for the
program and its documentation.  In the case of the PDF manual version I fail to
see where offering a free download update to that PDF file to those customers
who had already purchased a PDF manual would represent any significant added
cost to Millennia if they are udating that PDF version regularly anyway.
Naturally such customers would have to provide their customer number to
validate their entitlement to the updated PDF manual.

  I am always amazed at how people manage to comment on other people's writing
without reading that writing.  Any software firm is faced with a juggling act
between holding production costs at bay while also supporting their customer
base with adequate documentation.  My suggestions were made with both concerns
in mind, and I feel they offered options that might satisfy both needs.

  John Zimmerman
  Mesa, AZ