Michele

Spot on. What is the point of allowing sharing with names only if no
index of the names is maintained anywhere?

Another question is what happens to these shares when the data is
exported via GEDCOM. I have examined a GEDCOM exported by Legacy and the
data is there under a _SHAR tag. Obviously if you import this GEDCOM to
software which does not support shared events (FTM2012 for example - I
don't know about FTM2014) then the shares will be lost. Rootsmagic,
however, does support shared events and had no problem correctly
importing the name and role. So there is some sort of standard for
sharing events. However, RootsMagic also had the same problem of not
being able to locate the names not in the database.

Am I wrong in thinking that it all seems a bit pointless and if you
think you may need to refer to these names then, as you say, you must
add them to the database or, at the very least, mention them in the
event notes so that they can be located.

David