I never, ever, share my entire tree with anyone, even my immediate family.

What I do share is this:

--> a descendants chart containing everyone in the line that is common
to us, edited so that only first name (or the one they're known by) and
last name are showing for living people.  This way they know the living
exist, but they don't have enough information to track them down easily.

I start out by generating a text file of the chart, then editing that
file down to what I want to share.  I may attach that edited file to an
email, or I may copy it into an email.  If I do the latter, I change the
font of the chart to a proportional one (usually Courier).

--> a descendants book report, containing all (non-private) information
I have, including sources, for those who are no longer living.

I've also started creating closed groups in Facebook now, as well, and
invite to it my Facebook friends who are connected to that branch of the
family (I use a tag in Legacy to keep track of relatives on Facebook) so
they can "meet" each other too.  I post copies of the two reports above
there as well, so that othes who I may not have exchanged information
with in a while can see any new information I've gathered recently.

I'm frankly horrified at the number of people I've come in contact with
over the years, who share every last detail on everyone in their tree,
including masses of living people.  I record that information when it
comes to me, but I don't pass it on until I know the person is now
deceased or were born so long ago it's very unlikely they're still around.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Wendy