that's what I guessed might have been your reasoning there, just wanted to
make sure.

but given the variations in ages at baptism - how does one make that
decision of how much time to deduct from a baptism date?

I'm not fond of having a specific date for baptism (12 Aug 1776) and having
a before date for birth (before 12 aug 1776) because then it shows up in
the children's listing as (bef 1776) - if I just have the baptism date it
has a clear date there (1776) and I know that I have that detail as
accurate as I can get it.
Before implies I still have more research to do to locate the date - 1776
England, I'd be very very surprised to find any precise birth date.

Death & burial is different of course - burial date of 12 jan 1789 means a
death date of about 11 jan 1789 - they arent going to have died in August
of 1788 to be buried in jan 1789 are they....