This is my approach to people whose names are not known.
In the absence of a name Legacy sometimes adds a non-person called
“Unknown”.  To distinguish from this, my choice is usually to put “not
known“ in the given name field.  You can find these not known "people"
from a Given Name sort of the Name List.
If you have
•    a second marriage but you don’t know who the first spouse was - put
“not known” (all lower case) as a given name
•    people known to be siblings but don’t know either of the parents -
put surname (same as siblings) for father only, put mother’s given name
as “not known”
•    mother and children but don’t know the father - put “not known” as
father’s given name (not surname) so as not to compromise the children’s
surname
•    father and children but no mother - put “not known” as a mother’s
given name.

These people are not “unknown” – it’s just that at this time I do not
yet know their names.

Boyd
On 24/02/2014 7:31 p.m., Susan Jones wrote:

> Thank you Virginia,  I like the idea of having the husband’s name
> there, to assist when searching.
>
> Susan

---
is active.