Jay,

I think I do the same thing you do with the census summaries, but I get
them mostly from FamilySearch. You're right that if you copy and paste
from Ancestry, you are obliged to close the Notes window, and open it
again, so that the Legacy default font formatting comes into use.

In FamilySearch census summary windows, there is a "Copy" button, which
if you use, and then paste into the Notes window in Legacy, you get
close to what you probably want, and the font size comes out okay, I
suppose because I've set my minimum screen font size to 10, and also
to10 in the Legacy Notes window.

I had some trouble with my Notes formatting being lost until I figured
out that the Notes Zoom button was allowing me to set a Text Font Size.
It appears to always remember it, and I don't lose the formatting now.
Even if I change the Notepad window size, it does not affect the
formatting -- it will re-word-wrap the lines if necessary.

I don't suppose that this wouldn't change if used in other ways, such as
in this email message.

If you copy your Notes into WordPad (which I do from time to time, while
I am making use of the information), with it set to Arial and font size
10, the formatting will be the same as it is in your Legacy notes.

Here is an example copied from one of my Legacy Notes windows (I add
little notes of my own):

    *1870 Census -- Turner, Androscoggin, Maine, United States*
        Household           Gender    Age  Birthplace
    Lark D Merrill              M        47     Maine
    A Melvina Merrill          F         42     Maine = Amanda Melvina
    Lothrop
    Willard Lothrop            M        40     Maine = Amanda's brother,
    an invalid

    NOTE:  Next door is family of George T. Merril & Lorette &
    Georgianna A., and next to them is the family of Alvah and Hannah C.
    Merrill with child Nathan -- also including what looks like maybe
    the Merrill father, Luther Merrill, age 82.

    Citing this Record:
    "United States Census, 1870," index and images, FamilySearch
    (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M6DZ-RQT : accessed 25 Feb
    2014), Lark D Merrill, Maine, United States; citing p. , family 259,
    NARA microfilm publication M593, FHL microfilm 000552036.

I don't know how this will look in your email program, but it looks
fairly good before sending it. :-)

Joseph Leavitt