Hi Jane,
Have you used the right search to collect your direct ancestors (with
or without their siblings etc depending on which checkboxes you tick)?

Your reference to "instead of getting the ancestor with no parents, I
get several of that line" suggests you may have decided to use the
miscellaneous search for direct-line ancestors with no parents and
thinking you'll use that instead of the focus group? They may be the
ones who were alive in 1790 but that depends on how far your research
has gone in each line. You need to use the focus group to pick up
those alive in 1790 in lines that have been researched further back.
This list will have people completely outside the time you are
interested in for this census. For example it should include your parents.

It's the next step that limits it to those potentially alive in 1790.
How accurate the list will be will depend on how many dates you have
entered for the potentials and what lifespan you use in the census
search. It's a potential list.

It's a two step process:
Step One: Limit who is even considered in the census search to a
group. This is where you create a new search list using that radio
button setting at the bottom of the search screen.
Step Two: Do the census search just on that group of ancestors by
changing the radio button at the bottom of the search screen.

Cathy