Dave,
I'm not sure what you intend to do with the selection you described.  You can
get part of it quickly with features already in Legacy.  Highlight the person
in Family tab for whom ancestry will be the focus.  Control T to start advanced
tagging options.  Set the tag number to be changed.  Clear that tag first if
necessary.  Click "Ancestors" then click "Direct Line Ancestors" and check the
box under that to "Include Siblings".  You may also want to check "Include
Spouses of Siblings".  Set the "Number of Generations to include" as desired.
Then click OK to set the tag number selected.  When tagging is finished, you
will have the direct line ancestry and all children linked to that tree with
the tag set.

If you really want the children of those children, you would have to tag
descendants of each of the direct line individuals to 3 generations.  A focus
group might help with that process.

Once you get individuals tagged, then you can use that subset for whatever
purpose you had in mind.
Ron Taylor