Hi Gwen,

Note there are quite a number of preset colour schemes to choose from
in Legacy 8 so before you start your own customising, you might want
to check them out and start from the one you like best - there are
far more than are offered during installation.

On the Options Ribbon, click Change Colours (or right clicking on an
empty space on Family View will bring up a menu with one of the
choices Change Colour Scheme - this gets you to the same place).

To try a different colour scheme click "Choose an Alternate Colour Scheme"
Note some have "Tab" as part of their name. This refers to the Header
style of the windows within Legacy and can be changed from Options -
Customise - 9.2 - so if you like the colours but prefer the other
Header style, that's the place to go.

Now for your question.  When in Change Colour Scheme mode - Click on
a Child. There you can choose different colours for male and female
and unknown gender.
These colours are used on Family View in the Child List only, in
Pedigree View and in Index View,

When you're happy with the colours, don't forget to save your scheme.
Use the Options button in the "Pink box" or the save at Options -
Customise - 9.

The look of Legacy is so customisable. The difficulty is that there
are 3 different places to go. The "Pink box" section (9.1); the 9.2
options (and that's where Home View colours are changed); and the
Options Tab Style and Tab Colour.  When you save a colour scheme you
save all these options.

Did I say just 3 different places?  Ribbon colour and style are set
from the Design drop down on the Ribbon.

The colour settings were one of the things I worked with in the
pre-release period. If you think they're complicated now and not all
you desire, you should have seen them then ;-)
More than you asked.

Have fun,
Cathy