Hello, group!

I just wanted to announce the first version of my new Legacy-generated website
— www.hainings.net.

In the past, I have uploaded versions of my tree to various other places
(Rootsweb, Ancestry, and even MyHeritage). For me, one of the best benefits of
having your tree online has been finding cousins that I wouldn’t have been able
to reach otherwise.  However, recently I began to realize that because of
various changes to the coding of Rootsweb’s WorldConnect, most people doing a
general Google search on the name of a grandparent would not be able to find me
even if that grandparent was in my tree. Sure, they can find me if they search
specifically at Rootsweb or on Ancestry, but many new folks just starting out
don’t know enough to search those particular websites. The solution to this
problem — as far as I’m concerned — was to get my own domain and to do a
website based on Legacy-generated webpages.

There are other genealogy website programs out there — but they break down into
two main types.  The difference between the two types is whether or not you
have pages of static material (how Legacy does the pages) or whether the
information comes dynamically in response to a query.  In terms of having lists
of names that can be Google-indexed, the static pages actually work better for
me.

Anyway, I just thought I’d mention how easy it was to create a website with
Legacy. Legacy did all the really hard work — generated the bulk of my pages —
and I tweaked it a bit (courtesy of Dennis Kowallek’s LTools
<http://zippersoftware.com/wp/ltools/what-is-ltools/> ), and did some
hand-coding (with help from WUL
<https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WUL/info> ).  And the result is plain
to see.

I’d still hope for a few more improvements in Legacy’s webpage output (lifespan
on the names in the family links box!!), but overall I’m quite satisfied with
my new website.

cheers,

Kirsty Haining  J

Seattle, Washington