You can access the Potential Problems Options in several different ways.

1) Shift plus right click on a PP alert.

2) Tools Ribbon -  in the Family  Files Tool section on the left -
Potential Problems

3) Reports Ribbon -  Other Reports - Potential Problems.

They'll all take you to the same place in order to choose the issues
you want to be globally alerted to.

To see whether an individual has been excluded from a particular
potential problem. See their Individual edit screen. Exclude from
Potential Problems button. If they have any exclusions this button
with have an asterisk on it. Click it and you'll find a check mark in
the category they've been excluded from.

You can also have a symbol shown on Family View next to someone's
name if they've been excluded from a Potential Problem.  Options -
Customise 3.12

To turn on or off the PP alerts - Options - Customise  8.11

I wonder where the help file is wrong? You seem to have got into a
section talking about the way PPs can be identified when you're
working with FamilySearch.

Cathy