I treat emails and postal mail in the same way - a Basic-style Source I
have in my database called "Personal Correspondence". The Master Source
has no information in it other than the Source List Name.

With either form of correspondence, I would include all the pertinent
information in the Source Detail: who it was received from, how it was
received (email, letter...) and the date it was received. I don't
normally include the sender's email address (or postal address) as
others will see the source information when I send reports, and I only
pass on contact information with permission.

If the mail was originally sent to someone else and then
forwarded/passed to me, I'd note that in the Source Detail too.

No difference in treatment of the two types of mail, except one would be
on paper and the other wouldn't. I prefer to have everything on my
computer for easy retrieval (and backup), so one of the first things I'd
do with postal mail would be to scan each page so I had a copy on my
computer.

Wendy