Jane,

here is a detailed list of steps for you

Make a backup copy of your Legacy database

Go to Jane Wells
Click on the menu bar EDIT go to TAG RECORDS
First we need to make sure that tags 1,2 and 3 are clear of any existing
tags
click on UNTAG radio button,
It should already say "Make Changes on" 1
click on the EVERYONE button.
Lets repeat for 2,
click untag radio button,
you need to change the "Make changes on " to 2
Click Everyone
Lets repeat for 3
click untag radio button,
you need to change the "Make changes on " to 3
Click Everyone
Now we have cleared everyone from any 1,2 and 3 tags
Since we opened the Tag Records menu from Janes page, she should be the
person selected in the name field
If not, click the CHANGE button and select Janes name so that it shows in
the "Individual Tagging" window.
Now clock the ANCESTORS button,
a new window opens and here you select who to include; siblings, siblings
spouses etc.... select your needs. (do not select entire related)
Then click OK.
It will set the tag 1 for all the persons that meet the parameters.
Close the tag window, and go to the ancestor James Hulstar.
>From the menu bar EDIT go to TAG RECORDS
In the tag window, James name should be the selected person.
Change the "Make Changes on" TAG number to 2
Click on the descendants button, select just descendants, click OK.
Close the Tag window
Go to the Menu bar SEARCH> FIND
In the LOOK FOR select INDIVIDUAL
WHERE TO LOOK - tag 1
How to look - EQUAL
What to Look - TAGGED
Select the Second Condition
Individual
TAG 2
Equals
Tagged
Then check the radio button near the bottom, "Clear list before search"
Click on Create List
The SEARCH window list opens with the persons who meet the parameters,
Click on the OPTIONS button
Select Advanced Tagging
Make changes on needs to be changed to TAG 3
click on EVERYONE IN SEARCH LIST
now all the people you want in your report are tagged, so lets export them
to a new file

FILE> EXPORT> GEDCOM
Change the character set to UTF8
Click RECORD SELECTION and click on the radio button for records tagged
with and change the tag number to 3
NOW in your example you wanted the report to list the parents of a spouse,
so since the parents are not a "DIRECT LINE" between Jane and James, we
need to include them.
Select the Radio button for Export Spouses and export Parents (siblings is
optional prob wouldnt hurt to include if you have any ancestors who married
a sibling of a spouse)
Close the record selection window
Click on CUSTOMIZE
here the "events" that are in you database are listed in the right side
window under "Export these items"
If there are any items you do not wish to include in your report
Just scroll to the event name and click on it so that it is highlighted,
then click on REMOVE.
Do that for all you want to exclude, then click on OK
Then click on START EXPORT  and select a new name for this file.

Open your new file
Select Jane, select Ancestor narrative
and BINGO,
EXACTLY what you asked for in your original message