However, the drawback to entering something in a field where you don't
have information (question marks, dashes, unknown, etc) are:

1. If you use the "Missing Information" search tab in the Search
window, you won't find the missing information - it's looking for
blank fields.

2. If you use the "not equal to" or "equal to" in a Detailed Search
and leave the field blank, (find everyone who doesn't have this field
blank or find everyone who has this field blank - good search for
missing data) the search won't give you what you're looking for

3. If you want to use "Insert underlines for missing" in the book
reports, those fields will not be included since again it's looking
for empty fields.

4. Blank fields draw attention to the reader in the chart reports.

So entering anything in the fields that you don't have information for
can impeded your research.

I know a lot of people insert a lot of different things but I really
don't recommend it. In my early days I did and now I'm sorry (easy to
remove for everything but Surname)

Mr and Mrs should only be used as a surname prefix.... Legacy will
complain if you put that in a given name field

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support
Legacy Family Tree