Hi Bena,

A GEDCOM (.ged) file is a plain text file, that lays out family tree
data in a format that genealogy programs know how to interpret. Being
plain text, you can open it in any text editor (Word, Notepad...) to
look at its content, while at the same time its special layout means any
genealogy program can read it, too.

With regard to uploading a GEDCOM file somewhere online, it depends on
where you're trying to upload the GEDCOM (.ged) file as to what the
answers to your questions are - there's not enough information supplied
to be certain of your particular situation. Are you uploading the file
to somewhere like Rootsweb's World Connect
(http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/) where they have tools to translate
your text file into a navigable tree? Or are you uploading to a site
that is expecting you to create web pages (html) and uploading those?

If the latter (html) then Legacy can generate those for you, then you
upload the pages that have been created to your web site. It's also a
great way to share data with family who don't want to maintain their own
database, as you can copy the web pages from your computer to a disk or
USB drive and they can open the pages in their own computer, and they
can browse to their hearts' content.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy