From: Wendy Howard
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:13 PM
To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] TMG users who switched to Legacy

Hi Dale,

It doesn't matter how many people reading the LUG are interested in your
query, or not - the fact remains that your questions pertain to Legacy,
and so are on-topic and welcome here. Replying on-list means the
conversation will be archived, so others coming along later can discover
the information shared here and perhaps answer their questions, too. :-)

I've never used TMG. But, because I read this mailing list, I'm aware
that there is a page on the Legacy web site to assist with importing
data from other programs. Take a look at
http://support.legacyfamilytree.com/article/AA-00890/ - while it doesn't
specifically mention TMG (as far as I've seen with a quick look - you
might like to make a closer examination of it), you may find some useful
advice all the same.

I got to that page by going to http://legacyfamilytree.com/ and then
hovering the cursor over "Help Centre" in the menu at the top of the
page, and then selecting "How to import files from other programs" in
the drop-down menu that appeared.

You may be able to find more specific advice about importing from TMG
from the list archives - see the link at the bottom of every list post.
Try search terms like 'tmg' and 'export', without the quotes, which I've
used here to identify the search criteria; capital letters should not
matter.

It might be that you will need to export and/or import more than once to
iron out any problems you encounter. That's okay, don't stress about it.
Make notes about the selections you choose each time, so you can learn
from the results.

And if you are still having problems once you've taken in all the advice
offered, do contact Legacy Support for assistance - they're really
helpful people.

Something else to consider - is your database small enough that
re-typing all your data from scratch is feasible? It might be that
taking such a close look at it all will lead you to new discoveries, and
perhaps weeding out mistakes that had been made before. I'd consider
doing that if it were only a few hundred or a thousand people (I'm a
quick typist), but not if I were looking at tens or hundreds of
thousands or more. Only you can answer that, knowing what's in your
database already and your own skills.

Hope this helps. :-)

Wendy

Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on